Banner Galleries: Rosemary Fung - Day and Night 2022

Banner Galleries: Rosemary Fung - Day and Night 2022

As an Australian-Chinese lion dancer, my personal experience of the Lunar New Year has always been defined by our lively performances all over Sydney.

From traditional shop blessings in Chinatown, to LED dragons and lions lighting up the harbour at Circular Quay, CNY 2022: Day and Night aims to capture the spirit of these scenes through three sets of two banners, featuring the Dragon, the Lion, and the zodiac Tiger. Each pair consists of a red Day version recalling a traditional festive ambience, and a complementary Night version, which transforms the same theme into a modern display of dazzling light.

About the artist:

I am a Sydney born, raised and based Chinese-Australian creative. I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Digital Media from UNSW in 2013 and have worked across the graphic design, illustration, and animation industries over the past 9 years. In 2016 I was an AEAF Awards finalist for my animated short, and my most recent role was as a storyboard artist on various series for DreamWorks TV.

Primarily however I consider myself a digital illustrator, who strives to imbue her characters and artworks with life, energy, and flow. This manifests in affinity for flowing lines and brushwork. In my personal work I am inevitably influenced by my Asian heritage in both aesthetic and subject matter, and often find myself returning to the same cultural themes. Recently I have developed a fascination for Chinese brush painting, and am currently working on combining the spontaneous expressiveness of Xieyi style painting with a love of colour and light.

Outside of art I maintain a strong identity as a Chinese lion dancer. In 2018 I won the MGM women's lion dance championship with the Chinese Youth League, and my passion for this art form continues to tightly intertwine with my own personal creative practice.



https://upnext.com.au/event/banner-galleries-rosemary-fung-day-and-night-2022

Check out our website https://upnext.com.au/sydney

Check out our Vimeo channel https://vimeo.com/upnextsydney

Check out our Youtube channel UpNext Sydney Youtube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gabor Maté | ICC Sydney Theatre 2025

for KING + COUNTRY | ICC Sydney Theatre 2024

Warner Bros. Discovery Open Air Cinema at Darling Quarter 2024